NYC LGBT Sports Network is a new initiative of Team New York & Out of Bounds New York City. The Network was launched in 2019 in the run up to Stonewall50, 20 years after the founding of Team New York.
Team New York was founded in 1999 as an umbrella organization for inclusive LGBTQ+ athletic organizations for coordinate and collaborate. Team New York was intended to provide a mechanism for local athletic organizations to coordinate for the Gay Games. Out of Bounds was founded in 2000. Out of Bounds was intended to serve as an umbrella governing body for local athletic organizations. In 2007, Team New York and Out of Bounds merged into a single entity incorporated as Out of Bounds NYC, Inc. Today, Out of Bounds NYC, Inc. is a non-profit organization incorporated in the State of New York with 501(c)(3) tax-exempt status with the Internal Revenue Service. Our organization is governed by a Board of Directors.
2019 is a important year for our community. This year marks the 20th birthday of Team New York. This year also marks the 35th anniversary of the first pride march, which was first organized by Heritage of Pride in 1984. Most importantly, this year marks the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots which started on June 28, 1969 (Stonewall50). To commemorate Stonewall50, New York City hosted WorldPride this year, and our athletic community hosted competition with athletes from around the world as part of Stonewall50. These competitions included:
- OutCycling’s Annual Pride Ride – June 2, 2019
- New York City Gay Hockey Association’s Annual Hockey Tournament (Chelsea Challenge) – June 21-23, 2019
- Team New York Aquatics hosted the 2019 International Gay & Lesbian Aquatics Championships (Swimming, Water Polo, Diving, Synchronized Swimming) – June 23-29, 2019
- Front Runners New York’s Annual Pride Run – June 29, 2019
- Knickerbocker Sailing Association’s Annual Regatta (Parade of Sails) – June 29, 2019
- New York Gay Football League hosted the National Gay Flag Football Tournament (Gay Bowl) – October 10-14, 2019
For more information about these organizations, and other organizations in our network, visit our Network Directory page.
To commemorate the 50th anniversary of the Stonewall Riots in 2019, Team New York & Out of Bounds launched a new initiative called the NYC LGBT Sports Network. We also rebranded our old Facebook page which is now the NYC LGBT Sports Network on Facebook so you connect with us on social media.